Senior Software Engineer - News Core Application
Location: New York
Company: Bloomberg LP
The News Core Applications team is looking for a strong and motivated software engineer who wants to work in a fullstack environment to design highly scalable, low-latency systems and drive innovations in user experience and workflow integration.
One of the most important functionalities of the Bloomberg terminal is the delivery of financial news. In addition to being the second largest producer of news in the world, Bloomberg ingests more than 1.5 million news stories per day from more than 120,000 different sources. It is easy for clients to become overwhelmed and lost in the deluge of data. Our products help users optimally search, monitor, discover, and make sense of the news in the broader context of the financial market.
To do so, our team uses technology and services from across the company to build systems and UIs serving millions of client requests daily. The critical nature of news applications necessitates the design of concurrent, distributed systems that are highly scalable, low latency, and resilient. It requires close collaboration with business partners to build intuitive, informational, and flexible UIs that can adapt to the rapidly evolving news ecosystem and market demands. A successful engineer on the team should be willing to take on full ownership of essential, highly visible products. They should be excited by the challenge of fullstack development and working across domains to deliver quality, timely projects.
Future initiatives for the team includes the design of a recommendation engine to help clients discover the most relevant news content and functions based on numerous player dimensions such as market focus, location, language, etc. Another project involves the redesign of one of the top used functions in Bloomberg, the essential front page of Bloomberg News, to improve system architecture, user experience, editorial workflow, and usage analysis. We are also working on modernizing our story viewing and formatting service, a highly available service serving millions of daily requests, to adopt a microservices architecture to improve scalability and performance.
We'll trust you to:
- Evaluate, design, and support complex, critical systems end-to-end.
- Explore new technologies and methodologies, finding the best tools for the job rather than what you know.
- Collaborate with product, UX, and other engineering teams to deliver effectively.
You'll need to have:
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms.
- Interest in fullstack development.
- 3+ years experience with C++, Java, or Python
- Strong understanding of C++ fundamentals
We'd love to see:
- Experience with large scale systems.
- Proficiency in developing multi-threaded applications.
- Experience with relational database design.
- Familiarity with Linux or other UNIX systems.
- Experience with continuous integration tools and workflows.
If this sounds like you apply! We'll get in touch if we believe you're a good match and get started with a technical phone interview.